Results-Driven Criminal Defense & DUI Attorneys Serving Maryland 24/7

What Leads to a MVA Drunk Driving Hearing in Maryland?

If you have been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) in Maryland, you face not only criminal prosecution but penalties levied by the Maryland Department of Transportation’s Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA). Even if you are not convicted of the criminal charge of DUI in Maryland you may face suspension of your Maryland driving privileges as a result of your DUI arrest. Fortunately, you have the right to request a hearing with the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration to argue why you should not be suspended. If the suspension is ordered your attorney may argue for a reduction of the suspension or a right to drive on a restricted license to work, school, medical treatment or alcohol program.

Your request for an MVA hearing must be made within 10 days following the date of your arrest. At your hearing, you will be permitted to present evidence before an Administrative Law Judge to support your case. Much like a criminal trial, the MVA will look over any evidence against you, including alcohol tests that were administered before and after your DUI arrest, in order to determine whether your right to drive in Maryland should be suspended.

The results of your MVA hearing will have no bearing on any criminal charges you are facing; instead, it will only determine whether or not you will keep your Maryland driving privileges following your DUI arrest. It is important to remember however that, although the MVA hearing generally does not have an impact on your criminal trial, a DUI conviction may add 12 points to your Maryland driving record.

Like criminal trials, MVA hearings require skilled and determined legal representation to prove your innocence and present the evidence to avoid the loss of your license and/or privilege to drive. If you or a loved one is facing such a hearing, call the Maryland MVA hearing lawyers at Alpert Schreyer today for a free case evaluation at (301) 321-7277.