Bowie DUI & Criminal Defense Attorneys
We Fight Hard to Protect Your Rights & Future
Bowie is one of the largest and most prominent cities in Maryland. With a population of over 54,500, Bowie is the fifth most populous city in the state. Crime exists in Bowie, just like in every other city across the country.
At Alpert Schreyer Poe, LLC, our reputable criminal defense attorneys in Bowie have over 30 years of experience in defending residents against a wide range of criminal accusations
We can represent you if you have been charged with:
- Drug crimes
- Theft crimes
- Assault crimes
- Weapons charges
- Vehicular manslaughter
- Sex crimes
In Maryland, criminal charges are aggressively prosecuted and punished by harsh penalties, not to mention a permanent criminal record. With certain criminal charges, you may find it difficult to keep your job, maintain your security clearance or professional license, or obtain new gainful employment. Furthermore, your social and personal life may also suffer.
It is a common mistake to take criminal charges too lightly. If you are facing criminal charges, whether it is a misdemeanor or a felony, it is in your best interest to protect your future and retain the services of one of our experienced criminal defense attorneys in Bowie.
Do not let hesitation be the factor that leads to your conviction. Please call (301) 321-7277 for a free case evaluation with one of our lawyers today.
The Importance of Avoiding a Criminal Conviction
The penalties you face will depend on the criminal charges in your case. Maryland law provides maximum penalties for each separate offense, including enhanced penalties for aggravating factors, such as prior criminal convictions, firearm possession, and more.
Court-ordered penalties can include:
- Fines and court costs
- Time in jail or state prison
In addition, a conviction will result in the creation of a permanent criminal record.
A criminal record can affect many aspects of your life, including:
- Your ability to get or keep a job
- Acceptance into educational or professional programs or financial aid
- Eligibility for a professional license
- Eligibility for security clearances
- Eligibility for military membership
- Immigration status and ability to remain in the United States
- Ability to get accepted for rental housing
- Ability to have custody of your children
- Sex offender registry requirements
Often, defendants fail to recognize the lasting consequences of a criminal conviction. They think they may serve a term of probation, pay a fine, and move on with their lives, only to find out (the hard way) that a criminal record has long-term effects. For this reason, you should do anything in your power to avoid a conviction, including hiring a skilled criminal defense lawyer in Bowie.
Challenging Your Criminal Charges
In order to convict you of any criminal offense, the prosecutor must prove each and every element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt. The prosecutor tries to meet this burden of proof by presenting evidence, which can include witness statements, physical, and scientific evidence, such as fingerprints and DNA. Our goal as defense attorneys is to challenge the evidence in a given case to prevent the prosecution from meeting their burden of “beyond a reasonable doubt.”
There are many ways that we set about challenging the evidence in criminal cases, including:
- Constitutional violations – All too often, law enforcement officers gather evidence in violation of a person’s constitutional rights. For example, if officers discover evidence via an unjustified search, the discovery of the evidence violates the defendant’s Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable search and seizure. Additionally, information gathered after an arrest may violate an arrestee’s Fifth Amendment rights if officers did not properly read their Miranda rights. In such situations, our attorneys can request that the court suppress the unlawfully obtained evidence.
- Violations of the rules of evidence – Both the federal government and Maryland adheres to specific rules that dictate when evidence is admissible to court. Inadmissible evidence may be hearsay, overly prejudicial to a defendant, irrelevant to the charges, or unreliable. Our attorneys examine evidence and seek to suppress anything that goes against the rules.
- Forensic errors or unreliability – Many prosecutors know that scientific evidence can be particularly persuasive to jury members. However, forensic lab technicians can make mistakes, and test results are not always accurate or reliable. Our legal team will review how a lab handled, stored, and tested samples to identify any mistakes that could render the evidence unreliable.
- Claiming insufficiency – Sometimes, a prosecutor simply does not have sufficient evidence to prove an offense beyond a reasonable doubt. This can especially be true if a defense attorney successfully suppressed key evidence against a defendant. Demonstrating insufficiency of the evidence can result in a dismissal of charges or an acquittal at trial.
Our lawyers also use other defense strategies that may include self-defense, necessity, mistaken identity, alibis, and much more.
To visit us at our Bowie office:
16901 Melford Blvd., Ste. 325
Bowie, MD 20715
Hire Andrew Alpert like I did. He is the best DUI attorney in the State of Maryland. When he walks in a courtroom, prosecutors know his reputation and he commands respect.- P. B.
I was particularly impressed by a better than expected outcome that I can only attribute it to his extensive experience.- R.C.
I was so immensely impressed at how skillful Mr. Alpert flayed the prosecution, verbally removing every shred of their circumstantial evidence piece by piece- P.W.
Our legal team boasts over 70 years of combined experience defending the rights of the accused.
Our attorneys are former prosecutors who know how to recognize mistakes made by law enforcement.
We have an established reputations as one of Maryland's top-rated DUI defense firms.
Our attorneys are committed to taking the time to clearly communicate & understand your case.
We have the resources to investigate cases, provide expert witnesses in court & advocate for you.
We promise to fight for you with the intensity, drive & skill necessary to produce results.