Maryland Criminal Defense Attorneys
Providing Aggressive, Results-Driven Representation
Criminal charges can prove difficult to manage and can throw every aspect of your life into disarray. If you are looking at a criminal charge, retain knowledgeable, experienced legal counsel to bring your case to a favorable conclusion.
The lawyers at Alpert Schreyer Poe, LLC are experienced in defending the rights of individuals who have been accused of a crime. We can review your situation carefully to better understand your needs and the circumstances surrounding your case. For your convenience we have five offices located in Bowie, Frederick, Lexington Park, Prince Frederick, and Waldorf.
How We Can Help
Our firm handles cases involving:
- Criminal abuse
- Disorderly conduct
- Drug charges
- False accusations
- Sex crimes
- Theft crimes
- Vehicular homicide
- Weapon charges
A criminal charge can quickly change the course of your life. At Alpert Schreyer Poe, our aggressive representation begins from the first moment you hire us. We are skilled at making compelling arguments at bond hearings and getting the amount of bail reduced or eliminated. We will marshal the facts to show the judge that you are not a flight risk or a threat to the public or to witnesses in the case. In many situations, we can get clients released on their own recognizance, which means they do not have to post any money or collateral. Instead, you simply promise to show up to your future court hearings and any future trial.
Your Maryland criminal defense attorney also will not simply accept the state’s version of events. Instead, we know how to gather evidence ourselves, particularly hard-to-find evidence that can make the difference between winning a case and losing it.
For example, our evidence collection can encompass:
- Tracking down witnesses who would rather not be found. We can interview them to find out their sides of the story and subpoena them so that they must show up to court to testify, under oath, at trial.
- Examining physical evidence and reviewing the state’s chain of custody. Often, the evidence is compromised because the state cut corners when collecting it.
- Bolstering your alibi by interviewing witnesses or finding other evidence, such as proof that you were at a store or at an ATM when a crime took place.
This type of evidence collection takes time and know-how. At Alpert Schreyer Poe, we recognize that many cases are won or lost at this early stage of the case, so we spare no resource in fully examining the factual record on your behalf.
Attacking the State’s Evidence
In addition to building a defense, we work aggressively to get key pieces of the state’s case thrown out of court. The state and federal constitutions place limits on how the police can collect evidence and how the state can use it. Often, the state violates these rules. If your attorney objects, you can suppress this evidence, which means it may never see the light of day.
We have successfully suppressed:
- Incriminating statements and confessions made by defendants that the police collected without fully giving required Miranda warnings
- Incriminating statements and confessions obtained by police coercion in violation of the Due Process Clause
- Physical evidence collected without a search warrant or applicable extenuating circumstances
- Second-hand gossip and other hearsay the state tries to introduce at trial
- Unduly prejudicial guilt-by-association or character evidence the prosecutor attempts to smuggle into the trial in violation of the state’s rules of evidence
- Inflammatory statements in cross-examination or closing arguments as the prosecutor tries to get an edge in violation of Maryland’s rules of evidence
To successfully convince the court to throw out evidence, lawyers need experience, attention to detail, and an ability to think quickly on their feet. The lawyers at Alpert Schreyer Poe possess all of these qualities and are prepared to use them in your defense.
When we can’t get the court to throw out evidence, we will attack its credibility. For example, we will methodically cross-examine all of the state’s witnesses to uncover their hidden biases and bring their contractions to the attention of the judge and jury. We have successfully cross-examined hundreds of witnesses in our careers. We know how to patiently lay traps for even the most conniving witnesses and get them to impeach themselves.
Negotiations & Plea Bargains
At Alpert Schreyer Poe, we are committed to achieving the most favorable result possible for our clients. However, sometimes the best possible outcome will be to take a plea bargain if the prosecutor offers one. We are fully prepared to take all cases to trial, but we also are ethically bound to explain to you the likely outcome if you try to fight your case in court.
By taking a plea bargain, you might agree to plead guilty to a lesser charge, or the prosecutor might recommend a lighter sentence, such as no time in jail. These can make for attractive options, depending on your life circumstances and the strength of the state’s evidence.
At Alpert Schreyer Poe, we will help you fully understand the consequences of pleading guilty so that you can make an informed choice. Many factors go into the analysis, including your criminal history and whether you want to risk going to trial. Although we can help you think through the consequences of accepting a plea, the choice is ultimately yours.
The Negative Consequences of a Criminal Conviction
If you stand accused of a crime, take this charge seriously. Even if you do not end up serving time in jail, convicted criminals face numerous consequences for criminal convictions.
For example, a conviction might:
- Make finding a job harder. Employers can run a background check on you, including whether you have a criminal conviction.
- Complicate getting an apartment. Many landlords also run criminal background checks in addition to credit checks.
- Decrease your chances of getting into college. You can certainly explain how you have rehabilitated yourself, but college admissions are competitive everywhere. A criminal conviction can make gaining a slot in the class harder.
These collateral consequences can prevent you from getting back on your feet and rebuilding your life, even after you have paid your debt to society. To improve your chances of reaching a favorable outcome, hire a Maryland criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
Contact Alpert Schreyer Poe Today
Our firm can help. We are prepared to hit the ground running and to fight for your best interests every step of the way. If you are facing criminal charges, do not hesitate to schedule a free consultation with us.
I would highly recommend Mr. Alpert for his dedication, knowledge and professionalism- R.C.
To anyone finding themselves in need of THE BEST trial attorney money can hire I strongly recommend Andrew Alpert and if the need ever arises in my life again he WILL be my first call.- P.W.
Hiring Mr. Alpert was the deciding factor in getting my DUI charges dropped and getting my life and career back on track.- Former Client
Our legal team boasts over 70 years of combined experience defending the rights of the accused.
Our attorneys are former prosecutors who know how to recognize mistakes made by law enforcement.
We have an established reputations as one of Maryland's top-rated DUI defense firms.
Our attorneys are committed to taking the time to clearly communicate & understand your case.
We have the resources to investigate cases, provide expert witnesses in court & advocate for you.
We promise to fight for you with the intensity, drive & skill necessary to produce results.