How to Fight and Beat a DUI Case
Everyone makes mistakes, even law enforcement officers. Many times, people who are not under the influence end up with a DUI because law enforcement administered a field test or preliminary breath test incorrectly. A DUI case may also involve other mistakes, such as if a police officer violated your rights leading up to, during, or after arrest. To fight and beat your case, we will look to find any mistakes such as these, thereby saving you from a wrongful conviction.
In the event that a conviction is unavoidable, our defense team will fight hard to minimize the impacts of a DUI conviction.
Improve Your Chances of Getting a DUI Dismissed
Every case is different, and it is in your best interest to work with a Maryland DUI defense lawyer who has extensive experience handling these types of cases. It can also help to familiarize yourself with the situation you are facing, so that you can strengthen your lawyer’s efforts.
To help improve your DUI case defense, you should:
- Find out how your DUI charge might impact your ability to drive
- Make sure your attorney files all relevant preliminary motions
- Consider plea bargaining
- Consider pressing for a trial
When you work with Alpert Schreyer, LLC, you can rest easy knowing your attorney will take care of all of the above on your behalf.
DUI vs. DWI in Maryland
A DWI and DUI are two distinct charges, but both carry harsh penalties. The difference lies in the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of the driver at the time.
In Maryland, a driver over the age of 21 will be charged with a DUI if they are found to have a BAC of 0.08% or higher. On the other hand, if a driver over 21 has a BAC of 0.07%, they will be charged with a DWI. They may have not crossed the widely accepted threshold for drunk driving (0.08%), but they are still too impaired to safely operate a vehicle.
If a driver under 21 has any amount of alcohol in their blood, even just 0.01%, they will be charged with a DUI.
At Alpert Schreyer, LLC, we defend clients charged with both DWIs and DUIs.
What Are The Potential Penalties of A DUI/DWI In Maryland?
A charge for drunk and impaired driving in Maryland could cost you a lot of money and affect your life on many levels.
In Maryland, DUI and DWI are punishable by the following:
- Expensive fines
- Driver’s license suspension
- Court-ordered community service
- Higher insurance rates
- Jail time
- Mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device (IID)
How Can A DUI/DWI Lawyer In Maryland Help You?
Being charged with a DUI is an especially difficult situation to get out of. You will need an experienced legal expert who can successfully investigate your charges and the evidence used against you, and gather powerful evidence to support your case. If you hire our DUI lawyers in Maryland, you can rest assured that we will be doing exactly that. With years of combined experience, our lawyers will go above and beyond to ensure that you have all of the support and guidance that you need during this challenging time.
Ways that your DUI lawyer can help you include the following:
- Thoroughly investigating your charges and all evidence being used against you.
- Collect legitimate evidence to support your case.
- Provide you with legal counseling and offer you advice to help you avoid costly mistakes.
- Offer you emotional support during this hard time.
- Answer all of your questions and make sure you are equipped with everything that you need to protect your rights and your future.
- Fiercely represent you in court if your case gets escalated.
Contact our DUI attorneys in Maryland today for a free consultation, and let us walk you through the legal process associated with your specific case.
How to Choose the Right DUI Lawyer In Maryland
When you are facing a DUI charge, there is a lot at stake. Your job, your driver’s license, your money, your reputation, and potentially your freedom are all on the line. DUI defense law is an ever-changing practice area, and you want someone who can keep up with the latest laws and technology.
When it comes to choosing the right Maryland DUI lawyer to represent you, there are some credentials you might want to look for and consider:
- National College for DUI Defense membership and board certification: The National College for DUI Defense (NCDD) is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing advanced training for DUI defense attorneys. Membership is by invitation only and includes the top DUI attorneys throughout the country. NCDD also offers distinguished certifications achieved through a rigorous certification exam, which happens to be the sole DUI defense law exam recognized by the American Bar Association (ABA).
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration certification: Lawyers who participate in this training are specially certified to administer and interpret standard field sobriety tests. Only a small number of lawyers have undergone this training, and it is helpful when challenging field sobriety test results.
- Super Lawyers® listings: Super Lawyers®, part of Thomson Reuters, uses a multiphase selection process to curate a vetted guide of lawyers who are highly respected in their field. Peer nominations and evaluations are combined with independent research to determine if a candidate makes the cut. The objective is to create a credible, comprehensive, and diverse listing of outstanding legal professionals that can be used as a resource for consumers.
- Bar association memberships: A DUI attorney’s membership in state and county bar associations demonstrate that they are committed to staying on top of changes and innovations in the law. Don’t settle for an attorney who is behind the times.
- Level of experience: It is important to make sure that the attorney specializes in DUI defense and has been doing it for several years. Experience working for a state’s attorney can also be very helpful when looking for a qualified attorney.
- Client reviews: Do some independent research. A quick Google search will reveal the reviews of most lawyers. Moreover, the reviews and testimonials of past clients are often the best resources for someone seeking a lawyer.
With over 30 years of experience in DUI defense, multiple certifications, and great client reviews, the experienced attorneys at Alpert Schreyer, LLC, check all of these boxes. In fact, Andrew Alpert is the first and only attorney in Maryland to become Board Certified in DUI Defense Law by the NCDD.
Act Now to Protect Your Future—Call a Maryland DUI Attorney
Sadly, the prosecution is liable to fight not just for conviction, but for the harshest penalty they can get. We will fight back to protect you from being subjected to unfair penalties. We strive to mitigate the impact a DUI has on our clients' lives, whether that means reducing the penalty or getting their cases dismissed altogether.
If you have been arrested for drunk or impaired driving, you need Alpert Schreyer, LLC on your side. We won’t rest in our efforts to protect your rights and your future.
- Breath Alcohol Test Requirements Must Be Strengthened, DUI Attorneys Argue
- Mitigating a DUI: How to Win Before Ever Setting Foot in Court
- Our Firm Has 2 Super Lawyers®-Recognized DUI-DWI Attorneys
- Navigating Your First DUI: Understanding the Penalties
- Case Result: Not Guilty on Fifth DUI
Contact a Maryland DUI attorney online or call us at (301) 321-7277 to schedule your free consultation.