How to Choose the Right DUI Lawyer
When you are facing a driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while impaired (DWI) charge, there is a lot at stake. Your job, your driver’s license, your money, your reputation, and potentially your freedom are all on the line. DUI is an ever-changing area of the law, and you want someone who can keep up with the latest laws and technology.
When it comes to choosing the right DUI lawyer to represent you, there are some credentials you might want to look for and consider:
- National College of DUI Defense Membership: The National College of DUI Defense (NCDD) is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing advanced training for DUI defense lawyers. Membership is by invitation only and includes the top DUI defense lawyers throughout the country.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Certification: Attorneys who participate in this training are specially certified to administer and interpret standard field sobriety tests. Only a small number of attorneys have undergone this training, and it is helpful when challenging field sobriety test results.
- Bar Association Memberships: An attorney’s membership in state and county bar associations and other organizations demonstrates that the DUI attorney is committed to staying on top of changes and innovations in the law surrounding DUI defense.
- Super Lawyers® Designation: Super Lawyers® uses a multiphase selection process to select the top lawyers in their field. Peer nominations and evaluations are combined with other research to determine if a candidate is the best of the best. The objective of Super Lawyers® is to create a credible, comprehensive and diverse listing of outstanding attorneys that can be used as a resource for attorneys and consumers searching for legal counsel.
- Level of Experience: Make sure that the attorney specializes in DUI defense and has been doing it for several years. Experience working for a state’s attorney can also be very helpful when looking for a qualified attorney.
- Client Reviews: Do some independent research. A quick Google search will reveal the reviews of most attorneys. The reviews and testimonials of past clients are often the best resources for someone seeking an attorney.
DUI Defense Tips
Every case is different, and it is in your best interest to work with a Maryland DUI defense attorney who has extensive experience handling these types of cases. However, it can also help to familiarize yourself with the situation you are facing.
To help improve your DUI case defense, you should:
- Find out how your DUI charge might impact your ability to drive
- Make sure your attorney files all relevant preliminary motions
- Consider plea bargaining
- Consider pressing for a trial
Contact the Attorneys at Alpert Schreyer
Andrew Alpert and the experienced attorneys at Alpert Schreyer, LLC, check all of these boxes. With over 20 years of experience in DUI defense, multiple certifications, and great client reviews, if you’ve been arrested for DUI, you need Alpert Schreyer, LLC on your side.