Representing Defendants in Drug-Related Criminal Matters
Maryland law and authorities take narcotics and other drugs crimes very seriously. Drug-related charges may seem like an uphill battle, however, you should always know you can fight these allegations with the right defense lawyer on your side. At the law firm of Alpert Schreyer Poe, LLC, we have represented many clients facing many types of drug charges. We know how to build a strong, effective defense and protect your rights throughout the criminal process. After an arrest on suspicion of a drug crime, do not wait to call us at (301) 321-7277 to discuss how we may help you.
Defending Against Drug-Related Charges
The drug crime defense lawyers at Alpert Schreyer Poe, LLC represent clients against a wide range of charges and handle many criminal law issues, including the following:
- Federal Drug Charges
- Searches and Seizures in Drug Cases
- The Role of the Grand Jury in Drug Cases
- Why Treatment May Be Better than Incarceration for Drug Offenders
- Possession Defense
- Cultivation Defense
- Prescription Drug Fraud
- Drug Trafficking
- Intent To Distribute
- Transportation Possession Defense
- Alternative Sentencing
- Marijuana Offenses
- Cocaine Possession
- Methamphetamine Possession
- Drug Sales
- DUI Drugs
- Drug Crime Penalties
Drug charges can vary depending on the specific allegations set forth by police and prosecutors. Each type of charge comes with its own set of potential penalties, as well as possible defenses. Some cases we regularly handle include:
- Drug possession – If police believe that you possessed any type of illegal drug for your own personal use, you can face possession charges. Prosecutors can base possession charges on actual possession (the drugs were on your person) or constructive possession (the drugs were in a home, vehicle, or area you could access).
- Possession with the intent to distribute – Sometimes, prosecutors will assert that you possessed drugs with the specific intent to sell or otherwise distribute the drugs to others. This charge often results when you allegedly possessed a large amount of drugs or other items that indicate an expected sale.
- Drug trafficking – If prosecutors allege you possessed a particularly large quantity of a drug for distribution, you can face drug trafficking charges. This can also be part of a larger drug operation.
Prosecutors can charge some drug crimes as misdemeanors or felonies. The severity of the charge often depends on the type of drug someone allegedly possessed, the amount of drugs possessed, and the type of charge. You can also face harsher charges if you have prior drug-related convictions on your record.
As former prosecutors, our attorneys know how prosecutors work and how to challenge their case against you. We thoroughly understand Maryland drug laws, as well as any legal defenses available. No matter what type of drug charge you’re facing, you need highly skilled defense representation immediately.
The Possible Penalties of a Drug Conviction
Just as the severity of drug charges can vary, so can the range of penalties you may face. In many cases, a drug conviction can result in any or a combination of the following:
- Jail time
- Community service
- Mandatory drug treatment
In addition to the above, a drug conviction can significantly damage your career and other aspects of your life. These effects of a conviction can continue long after you finish your sentence, as a conviction will go on your permanent criminal record.
Some of these lasting consequences can include:
- Employers may fire you or refuse to hire you due to your drug conviction, especially a felony conviction
- Landlords may not rent housing to you out of a concern for future drug activity
- You can have a professional license application denied or a current professional license revoked
- You can be ineligible for federal student loans or other funding due to drug-related convictions
Overall, a drug conviction can derail your career and make many aspects of your life more difficult. The court-ordered penalties are only the beginning of your concerns—you should always seek to avoid a conviction to prevent the long-term consequences of a conviction.
A Defense You Can Trust
Our defense lawyers have seen firsthand the effects a conviction can have on a defendant’s life. We do everything in our power to help minimize the consequences of your drug-related case and seek the dismissal of your charges whenever possible. Our defense attorneys have many different ways of defending against this type of crime.
- We know that police officers often fail to follow proper or ethical procedures, especially in drug cases. If law enforcement violated your 4th Amendment rights and obtained evidence illegally, we will argue to have that evidence suppressed.
- We often challenge assertions of constructive evidence or the intent to distribute. We know how to challenge circumstantial evidence presented by prosecutors.
- We closely examine how forensic labs handle alleged drug evidence to identify any potential mistakes that may call the evidence into question.
- In cases involving marijuana, we can mount a medical defense when appropriate and relevant.
- We can argue to have your charges reduced or dismissed in many different circumstances.
These are only some of the many ways our attorneys work to build a defense tailored to the specific circumstances, allegations, and evidence in your case.
Any involvement with the criminal justice system can be intimidating or even frightening. Our attorneys are here to guide you every step of the way as soon as you call. We can represent you right after an arrest, at your first court date, bail hearings, settlement conferences, and trial if needed. We help prepare you for court and life after your criminal case.
Contact Our Bowie, Maryland, Drug Crime Defense Lawyers as Soon as Possible
The criminal defense team at Alpert Schreyer Poe, LLC, is highly experienced in Maryland criminal courts—as both prosecutors and defense attorneys. We have a unique perspective and understand all sides of a case to best assist and represent our clients. No matter what charge you face, it is critical to seek qualified defense representation immediately after an arrest.
Hire Andrew Alpert like I did. He is the best DUI attorney in the State of Maryland. When he walks in a courtroom, prosecutors know his reputation and he commands respect.- P. B.
I was particularly impressed by a better than expected outcome that I can only attribute it to his extensive experience.- R.C.
I was so immensely impressed at how skillful Mr. Alpert flayed the prosecution, verbally removing every shred of their circumstantial evidence piece by piece- P.W.
Our legal team boasts over 70 years of combined experience defending the rights of the accused.
Our attorneys are former prosecutors who know how to recognize mistakes made by law enforcement.
We have an established reputations as one of Maryland's top-rated DUI defense firms.
Our attorneys are committed to taking the time to clearly communicate & understand your case.
We have the resources to investigate cases, provide expert witnesses in court & advocate for you.
We promise to fight for you with the intensity, drive & skill necessary to produce results.